Wednesday, May 9, 2007

"Gay Pride".

Okay, don't shoot me. However, am I the only one who doesn't like that phrase? It's not that I'm a homophobe, it just seems illogical to be proud of who you're attracted to, period. A point that is reiterated over and over in the GLBT rights crowd is that you can't control your orientation (I agree with them, by the way). So why would you be proud of it?

I, for example, am bisexual, Eurasian, and American. I'm not proud to be any of these. I'm proud of my A+ average, and of being called a good writer by one of my teachers. The latter items are accomplishments, the former ones are just luck and genetics. If you have no control over something, there's no point in being either proud or ashamed of it. It's neither a personal accomplishment nor a personal failing. It's just how things are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere! Let me be the first to wish you the best of luck finding readers and sharing your thoughts in the 21st century world of Web 2.0.

My feeling on gay pride is simply this: People should be free to be who they are. There's nothing inherently to be proud of by being gay, but when you live in a world that tells you day after day that you should be ashamed of it, it's empowering to respond to those people with a vehement "NO!"

If there were no one telling gays that they should be ashamed of their sexuality, there would be no need for pride. Pride appeared on the scene, not as an expression of one's feelings about being gay, but as an expression of a group; a group that has historically been told that they are lower than dirt.

Think about it: if you were thought of as the equivalent of a walking plague, you'd want to find solidarity too.

Marienne said...

Thank you for your welcome, I really appreciate it.

I understand the reasons why pride came around. I just don't agree with it. Then again, I've never had many problems with people telling me that my sexuality is shameful, so I've never had any reason to need solidarity in the first place.

Hopefully, we can bring our society to a point where the pride niche is no longer needed.